2016-05-06

Trump Stumped

Politics is a funny thing.

The Donald has become the presumptive nominee of the GOP ("God's Own Party"). Not quite the representative I would have had in mind for and organization with such a prominent autonym. Not that I am really one to offer advice to those in powerful positions, but I will herein exercise my right to speak into thin air (or post on this blog, which is even less likely to be overheard than that). For the other GOP politicians, those of the so-called down-ballot races, know that The Donald is a problem whether you are for him, against him, or ignore him.

If you're for him...well I'm against you (even if your name is Ben Carson, I question your ability to reason like bible-reading Christian). I and I'm pretty confident that I'm not alone. But plenty would disagree with me. So there you have split conservatives somewhere down the middle third. And if you're publicly for him, then know that's the democrats will use that as a club against you.

If you're against him...well you've still split the party. And if you're against him publicly, know that the democrats will use that as a club against you.

And if you try to take an imaginary third path, "I'm Just not ready to do that at this point" (Paul Ryan), be aware that there isn't one. The Donald is such a polarizing figure, you cannot not know where you stand on the guy. To pretend not to know where you stand is a polite way of lying. What you're really saying is, "I need more time to figure out this will play out in my political career." And if you're in the woods on this middle path, know that the democrats will use this as a club against you.

2 comments: