2010-01-15

Mr. Walker Would be Proud

[for those who don't know, Mr. Walker was my old Scoutmaster...]

We had been getting by without running water since last Thursday. At about 10:30 last night, just as I was returning from showering at a neighbors, I noticed that the dishwasher was running and Andrea had a huge smile on her face. The pipe thawed while I was out, and only a few minutes prior to my return. Hallelujah!

Poking around in the crawlspace, I convinced myself that the freeze wasn't there, but was instead somewhere underground outside (I could tell by how the supply line left the crawlspace that it wasn't nearly as deep as it probably should have been). My master plan was to put a heater under the porch over where the water line was, cover it with a blanket, and see if that did the trick.

Well I never did get the heater, because I didn't really want Andrea to come home from her shower while I was in the crawlspace recovering the heater from where I had last left it. But in preparation for the heater, I did take my handy-dandy emergency space blanket, left-over from the Troop 51 days, and lay it down over where the pipe was (a space blanket is like a tarpaulin with a foil facing on one side).

It could have been a combination of many different factors, but in honor of Mr. Walker, we'll just say it was the space blanket.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that the water is back and that all those scout meetings, Jamborees, camp outs, and other duty-honor-trusty and worthy related activities came in handy! Mr. Walker, Forsythe, Milledge, Brown and others would all be very proud and honored. Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete