2008-11-10

One of the Joys of Home Ownership

As I am sure Dad can attest from our tenure in the Roebuck home, one of the joys of home ownership is being the proud guardian of the crawl-space. Seeing as our bathroom floor had been described with adjectives like "squishy", it became necessary for me to venture into the underbelly of the home to see what was amiss. Out of my own benevolence, I've invited you all along on a photo tour, and have even extended to Dad the deluxe-package personal tour. I'll spare all of the details because I am sure that you will all be eating at some point in time in the future. I thought about giving the Tennessee Cooperative Extension a call to see if they had a mycologist sitting around needing something to do...I'm pretty sure he could find a new species of fungus in here. So in we go.

Now our house, though only 1,450 square feet, has been added onto once. So apparently it was in vogue at one point in time to build one bed-room one bath houses. Anyway, so in-stead of just your ordinary crawl-space. we have a crawl-space that is only accessible from another crawl-space. And on top of that the inner crawl-space door is 80% blocked by a return duct. So after squeezing through an 8 inch wide by 2 foot tall opening, you then have to run the gauntlet to get where you are going. Yes, indeed, that is an old lawn-mower, two pairs of old boots, several random glass jars, and various and asunder other bits of junk. Also know as habitats.



So after crawling underneath by bath-tub and kitchen, trying to figure why a plumber gets paid what he does, and having a brief conversation with a camel-cricket convent, its time to meander back through the gauntlet and out into the light of day. Easier said than done.



I hope you all had a good weekend. Ours was fine, though parts of it were a bit cramped, dark, and musty.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, the fond memories are returning. As I once went, no more than once actually, spelunking{cave exploring} (not sure of this spelling, I think I have the worst dictionary on earth in the kitchen) the bowels of the crawl space of Roebuck. Several times to repair (replace)the plumbing and floor pan of the upstairs bath room after knocking out the ceramic tile floor and wall. Other adventures included the rusted out gas flue (read CO death in winter time) and various explorations to run tv cable to the back side of the crawl space. I indeed remember crawling over the air return in one place and having to crawl under an air duct in a second place. Great memories!

    I will leave the adventure of the TN house crawl space to young bones that are more flexible and certainly skinner than mine. My approach will hopefully be limited to an arial attack from above, dropping down once the decay is removed.

    One bright spot could be selling that old lawn mower on e bay. It looks like a vintage one. Not sure about the glass jars, why would people put that down there?

    Never the less, the offer of assistance is still good once the water is turned off. Remember to tell the family this day of exorcism might be a good time to depart for the weekend to another location for an extended period of time. I would hate to expose my precious grand children to the colorful language that their grandfather can occasionally come up with.

    Where did I put that bottle of scotch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "why would people put that down there?"

    I'll answer that question by bringing up another fond memory for you...Meme's basement. Just think what this guy could have done if he had a whole basement to play with? The shop/barn was fun enough.

    ReplyDelete