2008-07-11

A first taste. A pleasant surprise.

I've had goat milk before, and the results were regrettable. Think of a large vat of milk (like you are used to) add to it a few bales of hay, and then let it steep in the hot sun for several hours. Strain out the straw and pour out a glass and take a swig. Enough said, I did not like it. I had it over a bowl of cereal once, and I about couldn't get through the whole of it.

So from the begining, I've been riding along with Andrea on the goat thing. She can have her milk, and as long as there is a gool old red cap in the fridge for me everyone gets along just fine.

Yesterday, I get a really excited phone call from my wife excited about how good our goat's milk tastes. We had just gotten together all the equipment we needed to do it right and safe. She saves me some. I get home, dinner time roles around, and I muster up the variety of courage it takes to down something you know is going to be bad.

But it was good. In fact: it was really good. Take the red cap vitamin D milk that us Roberts kiddos are used to, make it a little creamier and a bit sweeter. Good, good stuff.

But don't worry. I know we'll be having some visitors in the near future. We'll make sure we have some cow-juice for you in the fridge.

4 comments:

  1. Mustering up the variety of courage sounds about right. I would be a little weirded out knowing that what I was drinking came (literally) from my backyard. I had a similar experience about a year ago at the beach. John Christopher and I went deep sea fishing for the day and then cook up our catch that night to enjoy a nice dinner over looking the ocean. Well once I thought about my snapper on my plate having been out in the water just hours earlier it took a little something away from the meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Les, you had better get used to eating what's in your backyard...you little Athens farmgirl! (I know, you're still holding out as long as possible though:). Brento, that goat milk sounds pretty good. I'm excited for you guys- can you make skim goat milk?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you probably could...goat milk (as I understand) is naturally homogenized, so the cream doesn't rise to the top just from sitting around. I think you can still seperate the two using a separator -- essentially a centrifuge (sp?).

    ReplyDelete
  4. But the difference is that it won't be going straight from the yard to my plate (or glass in Brent's case).

    ReplyDelete